#26: Woodworking Finishing 101
In this episode, we're talking about the ins and outs of finishing in woodworking. We chat about our favorite finishes, including Boiled Linseed Oil and more. Let's get started!
What are we working on?
- Zack: Storage unit in back yard, re-organizing shop, Flags & Roses
- Johnny: Buying lumber, new tools! Published "Scrap Wood End Grain End Table | How To Build" video.
- James: Dresser is almost Done!
Show Topic: Finishing 101
- Johnny: Indoor finishes, outdoor finishes, go-to finish. Arm-R-Seal
- Zack: 2:1 BLO:Mineral spirits, Shellac, Water based poly
- James: BLO + Paste wax (For Hand Held Items), Waterlox (for most furniture), Wipe on Poly (For anything that might get water), Shellac (For small projects and boxes)
Q & A:
I'm a new woodworker and I'm looking for a "mentor" so to speak. I know there is at least one person near me (within a few minutes) that has more experience than me but I've never met him. How would you approach a person for a man date to talk shop with etc. without seeming like a creeper? There also aren't any local clubs around me to meet people through that way, thanks!
Zack and Johnny have any issues with clients not wanting you to do a video on their project? Do you ask up front?
What’s new/what are we watching/reading?
- Johnny: Binging With Babish
- James: Mary May Carving School
- Zack: Design: The Definitive Visual History